The 3D Editor allows you to place or modify certain 3D objects or media resources in the world.
To begin, hit B or hit TAB and select the 3D Editor icon from the menu wheel.
This will cause the 3D Tools menu to appear. If you select different options along the top menu bar, you can access different options. You are now in 3D Editor mode and will not be controlling your avatar. The camera controls will also change:
Operating the 3D Editor Camera:
- Mousewheel drag: [Only In 3D Editor Mode] Move camera up/down/left/right
- Mousewheel rotate: [Only In 3D Editor Mode] Zoom camera
- Right Mouse drag: [Only In 3D Editor Mode] Rotate camera
- W, A, S, D: [Only In 3D Editor Mode] Move camera on horizontal plane
- Space, C: [Only In 3D Editor Mode] Move camera on vertical plane
- S, Y, T: [Only In 3D Editor Mode] Snap camera onto object axis
Beware that the 3D Editor camera can move through walls, so if your users are supposed to respect certain boundaries, the 3D Editor should not be available to them.
- Ctrl + A: Select all Editable 3D objects
- Ctrl + I: Select all Editable 3D objects that are not currently selected (inverse selection)
- Position tool: [W] Use to position 3D objects. Media resources cannot be affected in this manner.
- Rotate tool: [E] Use to rotate 3D objects. Media resources cannot be affected in this manner.
- Scale tool: [R] Use to scale 3D objects. Media resources cannot be affected in this manner.
- Undo: [Ctrl + Z] Undo last local modification.
- Redo: [Ctrl + Y] Redo last local modification.
- Hierarchy selection tool: [Ctrl + L] Toggle to automatically select all objects in a hierarchy, or to allow for sub objects to be edited individually.
- Delete: [DELETE] Erase this item across the network. Not all items are deletable. Media resources cannot be affected in this manner.
- Refresh: [F5] Check if this item has had changes made to it remotely. Changes usually load automatically.
- Texture tool: Add a custom texture to a custom uploaded OBJ. File size limit 750kb.
- Upload tool: Upload a custom OBJ model. File size limit 100kb.
- Pivot Mode: [Z] Toggle between group pivot and per-object pivot. Affects the rotation of groups of items.
- Pivot Angle: [X] Toggle between local and world pivot alignments. Local is default.
- Clone: [C] Clone selected object.
- Align X position: Align second+ objects to first selected objects’ X axis.
- Align Y position: Align second+ objects to first selected objects’ Y axis.
- Align X position: Align second+ objects to first selected objects’ Z axis.
- Align X rotation: Align second+ objects to first selected objects’ X rotation.
- Align Y rotation: Align second+ objects to first selected objects’ Y rotation.
- Align X rotation: Align second+ objects to first selected objects’ Z rotation.
- Toggle Solidify: Toggle whether an object is solid or not.
- Create a box
- Create a hollow box
- Create a cylinder
- Create a pyramid
- Create a wedge
- Create a cone
- Create a tube
- Create a sphere
- Create an arc
- Create a semicircle
- Create a tick
- Create a cross
- Create an exclamation mark
- Create a question mark
- Create a woman symbol
- Create a man symbol
- Create an arrow
- Create a lightbulb
- Create a signpost
- Create a speechbubble
Misc items / media boards:
From left to right:
- Create a display board: This is a 3D object that you can use to place other media resources upon in the event there are no suitable walls. It can also be used to divide spaces.
- Create a web browser: See https://www.hive-rd.com/rd-construct-web-browsers/
- Create a media board: See https://www.hive-rd.com/rd-construct-media-board/
- Create a slideshow with lectern: See https://www.hive-rd.com/rd-construct-slideshows/
- Create a slideshow without lectern: See https://www.hive-rd.com/rd-construct-slideshows/
- Create a text flipchart: See https://www.hive-rd.com/rd-construct-text-flipchart/
- Bar stool
- Classroom chair
- Conference chair
- Park bench (seats 2)
- Sofa (seats 2)
- High cafe table
- Rectangular cafe table
- Square cafe table
- Classroom desk
- Conference table
- Executive desk
- Office desk
- Reception desk
- Round work table
- Waiting room table
Finally, you will notice a yellow exclamation mark button next to the close button. Use this in the event a 3D gizmo is not disappearing as expected.
Beginning 3D editing:
To place an object in the world, select one from the menu. Your cursor will now have a green plus next to it. Where ever you click next is where your item will appear.
If you mouse over an editable 3D item, your mouse cursor will turn green to inform you.
Click on an editable 3D item in-world and select the position tool from the Standard Tools menu. You should now see an arrow gizmo on your 3D item, like so:
The rotation and scaling buttons will change the gizmo accordingly, and allow for modification on 3 axes as well:
Shown below, we have now positioned, rotated and scaled a cube:
If you desire finer control when scaling, positioning or rotating, hold Shift when dragging to move in smaller increments.
If we wish to edit multiple items at once we can box select them. Simply click and drag over the area to create a selection box. Beware that this may select distant objects too.
Shown below, we have now selected our objects: